Saturday, August 16, 2008

A weekend I couldn't avoid any longer

I have tried very hard to be productive today. We cleaned out the inside of the car, vacuumed it and washed it. I still need to armor-all the inside, but it's only cool enough for that until about 9 a.m. so that will happened next weekend. Then we went up to check on Troy's parents house. No disasters there, but we decided we need to go up Monday night and pull weeds, sweep and squish cans people have dropped off. Coming back to the heat is hard for Connie, so the easier we can make it the happier we'll all be. They'll be back on Tuesday and I'm actually very excited. I hang out with my mother-in-law more than anyone else in town and I miss her when she's gone for the summer.

Once we got home I was tempted to be lazy, but forced myself to do the dishes and wipe the counters. Then I looked and my floors and decided I just had to do them. If there were ever floors that needed some TLC, they're mine. I mopped, but because we live in a rental, the grout was kinda grimy when we moved in. Then after two years of cooking and washing and walking and pasta sauce (for those who remember that incident--see my post in October of last year), the grout was brown instead of the light beige it's supposed to be. So I pulled out the pumice and went to work. It looks a lot better, but I'll have to keep working on it. I used a whole stick on the kitchen and still have the dining room and trouble spots to do. I took before and after pictures and although you can see a difference, it still looks icky close up, so just be proud of me because it's a major improvement.

After that I was in a slightly productive mood so I went to the store to get pectin for freezer jam. I had strawberries I needed to use and I LOVE freezer jam. I've never made it before and travelling to Utah to steal some from my mom just isn't practical, so I decided to give it a shot.

This is for you Linds. For those of you who pay attention to details, my jam is cheese-free, contrary to what the lid says.

It tastes good for now. Hopefully it will set up and still taste good.

So that has been my day so far. I do not plan for the rest of it to be as productive. I think I'll make dinner and that will be it. :)

7 comments:

The Pooley Tribe said...

Totally more productive than mine has been ! I'm especially impressed with the grout scrubbing and the jam. I feel as though that goes above and beyond.

Ruth said...

Why thank you Kelsey. I do my best! Actually, I haven't done my best which is why I had to scrub the grout in the first place. :)

dust and kam said...

Ruth, you have had a busy day! Awesome. I need one of those productive days soon!

And I should learn how to make freezer jam. Dustyn would love it.

Lindsay said...

wow people make their own jam? what a waste haha j/k i bet it tastes delicious for those who enjoy it!! Great job ruthanne!

The Teagan Times said...

Okay so I need to learn how to make that jam. Sin queso of course. Teach me please. You are blogging like crazy lately. Good for you.

B.T.B.B. said...

sounds exhausting, but I love those days! Thanks so much for the help in the Primary room! It's getting there.

KFinley said...

You always have been a busy bee! I thought you guys would be stuck to the Olympics though!