Wednesday, August 13, 2008

For my Sister (who doesn't read my blog)


Happy birthday, Seeester! Here are some birthday pics of my almost-littlest sister, Rachel.





Ita, you are so great. I couldn't have asked for a better partner growing up. Well, I guess Jason was really your partner, but I liked to think I was in on the action, too. I was trying to think of some good memories of you, but I could only think of funny ones involving the younger girls. I think that's because we were so close together that even if you did silly things, I was too young to realize they were silly. How unfortunate. :(


I do, however, remember sitting in your hut on your bed, munching on stale bread from your cardboard refrigerator and thinking that if the world came to an end, I'd have to stay close to you because you were much better at gathering food than I was (although no one could beat Jason). I remember desperately trying to find your hiding place so the hide and seek game would end and I could have the FHE treat. I remember lying in bed in our attic room (probably smelling your dead turtle) and talking about everything as the streetlights reflected off the falling snow and low clouds. I remember summers in the apricot tree and being jealous of the "spots" you'd find because you were such a brave climber. I remember laughing in the dark as Ramona told us all about the "donzerly light." I remember singing Vanessa Carlton while driving to Richy because we didn't have a radio. I remember falling asleep when you'd make me watch old movies. I remember loving your old movies when I actually did stay awake.


Your wit and love (and sometimes your witty love) make our family complete. You fill holes only you will fit into. I'm lucky to have a sister like you. You drove me crazy, you kept me sane and you'll always be one of the most amazing people I know.


Pay no attention to the girl on the right.

And now, my birthday gift to you:

Sorry it's recycled. I have no Patty to make a new one. :)

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Happy Birthday Rachel!!! I love the pictures, we wish we were all together to celebrate your birthday, but we will just have to celebrate on our owns =)

Jessica Marie said...

I loved this!! I always love learning more about you guys - thanks for being my best and favorite cousins! And happy birthday Rachel!