Saturday, February 27, 2010

I just have to get this out . . .

I've spent the last week feebly trying to get my house ready for all the company that will be here for Quinn's blessing next week. You really can't tell that I've done anything. One of the big projects was getting the girl things put away so you could see the floor in Quinn's room.

Let me start by saying that I love my son and wouldn't trade him for anything. Yet as I was putting all the girl clothes away, I was kind of sad. I don't know how to explain it. Going through the clothes and remembering how I felt when I was pregnant with "her," I started missing her. It's not that I wish I had a daughter rather than a son, but I think that because I thought my baby was a girl for five months, I became attached to that idea. That is who my baby was.

When Quinn was born and we had a boy, I wasn't bothered at all. I love little boys and didn't really think about my girl again until this week. Now my little girl's existence fits in a 45"x35"x7" vacuum sealed bag and it's a little hard to take. It's not that I'm really mourning over her, but in a small way maybe I am.

Strangely enough I feel like I had two babies. I have a hard time associating my pregnancy with Quinn. When I think of the ultrasound pictures I don't think of Quinn, I think of my girl. It's really weird because that girl never existed, but packing up those clothes and writing about it now, I'm kind of sad--maybe the best way to say it is that I wish I had both my babies. This probably sounds super strange and I don't think anyone will really understand me unless you've been there, done that, but I wanted to record how I felt. This is my official goodbye to my girl.

6 comments:

dust and kam said...

this may sound a little weird... but I feel like I completely understand. Of course our hannah was a little girl and we have gotten ready for a girl a few times... so now that it is all actually happening, I am super, super excited for Gage, but at the same time, I was a little sad putting away all the girl clothes and quilts and such (And I most definitely need to get some vacuum bags... why didn't I think of that?). I guess I just figured we would always have a girl first. I think I am finally getting my head around the idea of having a boy because now I am excited to have a little boy! But every once in awhile when I see a cute little dress at the store, I remember.

So, I think I can understand where you are coming from. :) But yay for little boys!!!

Jessica Marie said...

I'm glad you posted this because I've wondered how all that was for you. It would definitely be weird to get used to a different gender and the thing I love about ultrasounds is that they make the baby feel more real to you, mainly because you learn what their gender is. So yeah, I better not say I completely understand but I definitely see where you're coming from.

The Teagan Times said...

Ahhhh. I totally get it. My pregnancies never seem very "real" until I know the gender. I see how that would feel like a loss after adjusting your mind and home to the idea you are having a girl. I think if I were you I would be turned off to ultrasounds in the future. Do you plan to find out with the next one?

Lindsay said...

I have never experienced this, but I can totally understand why you would feel that way.. and it would be kind of sad =(

Brittany said...

I really liked that you posted this...because I think it makes perfect sense. I am so sorry that you have gone through a loss in a way. I am glad that you have your sweet boy. I love my little guy. I hope one day I can meet your little guy.

Barnard Family said...

When I was pregnant with my third child and I just really, really wished for a girl and I got my beautiful cannon - I felt the same way. He is wonderful and marvelous - but I thought he was going to be a girl...luckily next I got Cali! After Cali I told Adam that I was done. He then had a dream that there was one more little girl waiting for us - shortly after we were pregnant and thinking of girl names...at the ultrasound when they said it was a boy I started to cry. He was healthy and I was happy but I was told by Adam that it was a little girl. Adam wanted me to be happy but I told him that I needed a day to be sad - I told him "tomorrow I will be happy we are having another boy, today I am sad that it was supposed to be a girl!" He is a sweet boy and I love him - so I guess it all works out in the end but it was difficult when I was going through it. Quinn is beautiful and I say that you have the right to be sad for your little girl. Love you!