Monday, January 5, 2009

My more practical Christmas presents

I got another pretty awesome gift for Christmas. It wasn't a surprise, but my parents gave us food storage. Certainly not enough for a year, but a general smattering of the important stuff (I think). One of my primary goals this year is to jump on the bandwagon because 1) isn't a commandment and I shouldn't need any other reason than that, but 2) it's (hopefully cheaper) and 3) I'm trying to make us healthier, more rounded eaters--I know, good luck with that, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Anyway, my mother-in-law gave me a flour mill for Christmas and I used it last week for our first food storage adventure. I was making pizza dough and decided to get brave and put a little wheat flour in it (it only ended up being a cup). Now, although my mom raised me better than this, I am a white bread girl. There's nothing better than a hot grilled cheese sandwich with white bread, so you can imagine my concern about wheat pizza dough, but I persevered. And it turned out good, probably because only a third of the flour was wheat, but whatever. I couldn't taste much difference. Troy said he could a little, but hey, unless he's cooking, things go my way. (Love you babe) Anyway, wish me luck.

semi-wheat calzones--delish

Finally, a shout out to Mande for being my mentor! She always sends me mega-helpful stuff, like a link to this site with info on all the phases of food storage.



2 comments:

The Teagan Times said...

I'm so jealous. Please have your parents put me on their Christmas list next year. Great selection too. Watch that flour. It can't stay canned for long. Ask Kelsey. Within a short period of time it turns into bitter yuckiness. Isn't the new food storage site cool?

Ruth said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll open it once I go through my current bag.