We are spending this weekend forcing medicine, changing double diapers and trying to keep a baby awake long enough to eat. What fun.
Quinn had surgery yesterday to correct a hypospadias. Basically his urethra was too short (look it up if you want more info--full descriptions require lots of male anatomy talk). It was sad and cute to see him after surgery. He was still coming out of anesthesia, so as I fed him I had to keep rubbing his head and neck to wake him up enough to get him to eat--like a bigger version of his newborn self. I did decide that among the other numerous reasons babies are not born at 20 pounds, it's hard to cradle a 20 pound deadweight. Fortunately, he didn't need the constant cuddles for long.
He has a catheter that drains into a second diaper OVER the first diaper so that there's less chance of infection. At first he was okay with the medicine (he's on a painkiller, anti-spasm stuff for his bladder and an antibiotic), then he would fight the dropper and would almost enjoy the few drops we'd get in each time, and now he'll barely tolerate it. The Tylenol makes him WAY drowsy, so he sleeps almost all day, which is nice because then we can catch up on the sleep we miss getting up in the night for meds and diaper duty.
He's such a good boy. When we got back from the surgical center yesterday he cried a lot because he was still coming off the anesthesia and I think his epidural-like numbing was wearing off and his legs were all tingly. But that's really been it. Yesterday evening he was actually feeling well enough that he was smiling, "talking" and squirming--you wouldn't have even know he was sick. Today's a little different, still no tears, but lots of eye rubbing followed by lots of sleeping. Hopefully some of the swelling will go down soon and we can try cutting back on the painkiller. I certainly don't want him to be in pain, but I don't like him knocked out, either.
I have some pics, but they will follow in a few days.
6 comments:
poor little guy! That doesn't sound like fun for him, or you! Hope he gets better soon!
oh my gosh! i want to love that little boy!
Jimmy has a very mild hypospadia. They didn't even notice it until they started his circ. We have to wait a few more months to get a consultation and then a few MORE months for surgery, so he'll be about 1 when he finally gets it taken care of. UGH!
Anyhoo...I hope your little guy heals quickly!
Oh my goodness...I had no idea he had surgery. Please keep us updated.
oh i love little quinn, what a tough little boy!
I hope he gets better - that is so scary! Good luck!
Post a Comment