When I was in high school, I loved it when we had Fridays off for two primary reasons: 1) I didn't have to go to school and 2) I essentially had two Saturday nights. Forget about the day part of Saturday--those were spent cleaning (read, avoiding cleaning) or watching TV. Fridays off gave me one more night to spend with my friends. Monday holidays were useless to me. While I did enjoy the no-school part, I did not gain a single weekend night because I couldn't use Sunday night for friends. The whole Sabbath thing got in my way and (I thought) really crippled my social life.
With adulthood that has changed. Fridays off work are nice and I will certainly take them, but there is nothing better than getting home from church on Sunday and knowing that not one bit of my day has to be spent preparing to get up at the crack of dawn the next morning and renew the drudgery of another day at work.
"But Ruth," you may think, "you can just as easily enjoy that feeling the night before your extra weekend day when you have a free Friday." True, true. However, here's the thing that seals the deal. Along with enjoying a three day weekend, a beginning-of-the-week holiday leaves a special treat once it's ended: a shortened work week! When Friday is not a work day, you spend the entire week looking forward to the long weekend and forget to enjoy the shortened week. Monday holidays offer two weeks of bliss. One in anticipation and one knowing the weekend will arrive after only t-1 days.
Perhaps I will change my mind later in life. I can see that a Friday holiday would be preferable if you had to be at church on Sunday and didn't want to break up a family outing, but for now, I will enjoy free-Friday yet relish every Monday holiday.
1 comment:
i totally agree with you! i would much rather have monday off than friday!
Post a Comment