Tuesday, December 15, 2009

One month and counting

This is getting a little scary. Within a month my life will be totally different. I don't think I'm ready for this!! It's just been Troy and me for 6.5 years and soon there will be someone else. That's a very big change. I was far less freaked out when we were graduating, moving, buying a house, etc. I don't even remember being this freaked out when I was getting married (I'm sure I was, but that was a long time ago so I've probably forgotten).

This is actually more than a little scary, it's a LOT scary.

any advice is appreciated

4 comments:

dust and kam said...

So excited for you.

Sadly, I have no advice... given I have never been a parent before. Shocking, I know. :)

But I will be asking you for lots of advice, for sure!

Jessica Marie said...

I wish I could see you preggo!! I love dispensing advice, so here goes:

1) Something that surprised me was that for all the work and change that Jozie created, I had at least an equal amount of almost all-consuming love to counteract it. You really will be surprised by how much you will fall in love with this person. It might not be immediate, but it will happen.

2) Newborns are just a lot of work, so expect that. It will get better. Within a few months she'll likely settle into more of a routine, plus you'll get better at figuring out what the heck she wants. It will likely take longer for Troy. Chad has a hard time with babies and does much better after they learn how to talk. Babies want to be held A LOT, so if you have a front carrier it will help you stay sane and be able to still get some stuff done.

3) I think babies can be taught to be good nighttime sleepers. During the first couple of weeks she'll be really off schedule. What I've done is gotten them to use a pacifier early on and had them sleep next to me for the first few weeks. That way they can stay content, but I only feed them every 3-4 hours to get their bodies to adjust to not eating as often at night as they do during the day (feed her lots during the day so she doesn't need to eat as much at night). I also swaddle young babies at night (the Miracle Blanket on Amazon is awesome). Within a couple months both Jozie and Haven would sleep for a 6 hour stretch and usually just wake up once between 2 and 4 am to eat.

4) It took me a couple weeks to figure out breastfeeding with Jozie and was really stressful. I learned some things with that, so if you are breastfeeding and it isn't working out, I would love to talk about it.

5) Babycenter.com is a great help. If you tell them when your baby's due or born they'll send you weekly emails about her development.

Alrighty, I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted!! Good luck! I'm really excited for you guys :)

Betsy said...

Your life is about to completely change, but in so many wonderful ways. You won't even miss sleeping at night. te-he. You won't even remember days when it was just you and Troy because your baby will become such a part of your world that you couldn't even imagine what is was ever like without her. I can't wait, good luck, don't be too nervous because it just is scary . . . until you see her for the first time, then you won't even remember your worries.

Lindsay said...

Ruthanne I am getting so excited for you!! You will be an amazing mother and troy will be an awesome father!!